Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Patois, anyone?

What does that word "Patois" even mean? According to the resto's website, it derives from the native Jamaican language. Where it signifies the merging of great food ideas from various cultures. Essentially, it's just a really good mix of food fushion!

My latest food adventure visit was to Patois. Located at 794 Dundas St West, just about 2 blocks west of Bathurst on the north side.


My visit was called to come to this place because a friend of mine's on Facebook shared a link that feature the resto's "Prosperity Jerk Lobster" for a limited of time only. Hello? Jerk Lobster? Call me, please! (By the way, I've been hosting Lobster feasts on a close-to monthly/bi-monthly events. Where, there are more lobsters on the table than anything else)

So, you can book online or call. But booking online is far more easier, I opted for that. For more details, visit their website at: www.patoistoronto.com.

The resto's decor is a bit of everything. Everything that is fun and random! You have rustic, vintage, bright, and air floaters that you would find at a swimming pool.


Knowing me, I got there early to check out the place.

Our servers for the night was absolutely phenomenal! She was so personable and knowledgeable. So above and beyond, that one of my guests asked me, did we know each other from before? That's the type of service every diners should feel! Just simply wonderful.

My first disappointment was that, we got a table that was meant to seat four people, but we squeezed in five. I just wished we had gotten a table for six. Especially with what we ordered (and you'll be surprised too!), we were running out of table space!

We started off with drinks. Most of us ordered something off their special beverage menu. Go big or go home, right?

Three of us ordered the coconut rum, one of the three was virgin one. You literally get to drink out of a freshly opened coconut. NOTE: highly recommended to pour in all the rum. Pouring just a little or half, is clearly not enough for alcohol or to taste! I'm serious about this! #triedandfailed


One of us ordered a raspberry fizz (tea infused vodka), and the other a pint of Steamwhistle.


Now, it's time for FOOD! But wait -- we haven't even ordered any food yet, just drinks. My guests and I were debating what to order. So many things on the menu that just jumps out at us. We could have ordered The Whole Shebang for $99.99 (+ tax & tips). But we definitely wanted more than that.

In the end, you'll soon find out what we've order. We were definitely in for a feast!

First to arrive was an item under their Dinner Features + menu. Anything from
this list can change. The Jerk Chicken Chow Mein was the first to arrive. Tender pieces of chicken nicely coated to a tasty jerk sauce bedded on top crunchy fried noodles. After we all portioned it to everyone, we were surprised to see the bottom of the plate coated with a lot of the jerk sauce. At this very moment, a very Asian thought came to mind, "can I get a bowl of white rice with that?" A sauce that is that well-made, should not go to waste. #justsaying


The next thing came, from their regular menu and a must-try item (in my books!), The Pineapple Bun Burger. Yes, we ordered two of these. OMG!!! Who would've thought HK's pineapple bun could tasty so devine with two juicy beef meat patties! Holy moly! Hands down, one of the best of the nights! Personally, I wasn't so big on the onion ring. Too battered for my liking. But the burger, it was delectable!


Next came, supposingly, our starter...but we've already had two things arrived before it: Kimchi Potstickers "Pierogi" style. This was easily the best item of the night for me. I don't normally eat pan-fried dumplings, I usually prefer it steamed or boiled. And pierogies are something still sort of new to me. I always like to try new fillings. But, these potstickers were amazing! Maybe things do taste better with bacon! ;)


Finally, The Guest of Honour has arrived!!


The Jerk Lobster. We all were still working on the other dishes. But this plate of goodness, just in awe. We all were just taking it all in. The presence. The aroma. We're so use to eating lobster served with a lot of sauce. This one, nope! The spices used were all coated on the outside. Don't get me wrong! It's still just as good! It was a good different!

Next, came another limited of time item to order: Jamaican Oxtail Ramen Lomein. Out of all the things we've ordered for the evening, I was most looking forward to this. Who wouldn't be when Oxtail Jamaican sauce is involved?! Don't let the image fool your sight though. Between five people, this dish was just a tasting. A teaser more like it. I wanted more. If only there was more ramen. Sort of like what we've got from the chow mein. Essentially, that was my only disappointment for this dish. Perhaps, double up the amount of ramen would have been a good start.


Next, The O.G. Fried Chicken. One full order.


It comes with three different condiments/sides: sweet siracha, Thai basil, and pickled watermelon. I was really excited with the pickled watermelon part. Perhaps, it because I usually like pickled things (who doesn't love pickles?! No pun intended!). I just wished the watermelons were more pickled. It was just a light hint. Another teaser. =P


The chicken was done absolutely correct. Props to the kitchen for that! Moist and juicy on the inside, super crispy on the outside.


As soon as you think we're done with the orders, we have just one more item: Typhoon Sheltered Pork Belly. Normally, I am not too fond with pork belly because there's more fat content than meat. But these pork belly slices were done so crispy, it just melted in your mouth. 


It came with a bowl of white rice sprinkled with black sesame seeds. All the bits of spices, meats, herbs that remained from The Jerk Lobster and The Pork Belly dish...the steam rice was just super handy. The best compliment one can give to a chef is how clean the plates were.

By the way, before we placed our order, and before they arrived, I had to ask our server about their dessert menu! (It's a must, right?) Especially, on their menu online, because there wasn't one! Apparently, their dessert changes quite often. This is the reason why it's not set or visible.

So, there were only two desserts to choose from. We just ordered both!

First to arrive, the Coconut-Lime Sorbet. I was told by our server that the sorbet was made just hours before the resto had opened on the day (Sunday). Talk about freshness! Wow! I must say, it was very limey! Without a doubt, very refreshing! A very good way to end a nice meal.


Lastly, we ordered two Mango Cheesecake French Toast. 


Definitely, not what we all were expecting in appearance and taste. But, that's not to say it wasn't devine when it was devoured! It was definitely more of a loafy bread taste than compared with bread pudding. It was nice and fluffy. Personally, I would have wanted more mango cheesecake infused and more mango pieces as garnish. Overall, it was a nice different and I'm glad I've tried it!


Overall, my guests and I had thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Patois. The food was excellent. Atmosphere was nice. The staff (including our server) were really great! Would I recommend this place? Of course! No doubt about that! In fact, I intend to go back and try out their brunch menu. Egg Bennies over Jamaican Beef Patties, are you kidding me? Heck yes!

Until the next food journey! =)

3 comments:

  1. Jen, I am impressed!!! What a great first restaurant review post! This was so well done and detailed and you got everything on point! Well done!!! Ekkk!! I can already tell that some good things are going to happen with you with the start of this new food blog. Congrats again! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...thanks, Karen for the super kind words! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Jen! I see lots of potential here! :D

    ReplyDelete