Thursday, April 23, 2015

Oh Geul Boh Geul

First and foremost, my apologies for being MIA.

However, a recent experience (last night) has prompted me to write a review. It may differ from existing reviews of this place, but this is what I had experienced.

Located at 5320 Yonge St., North York, Toronto.

We were expecting a party of 13 guests. At the time, I was with 2 and we came in from the back of the restaurant (parking behind the restaurant). We told the servers that we were early and our reservation details. They told us to go downstairs. Yes, our table was downstairs. No comment for now. So, we head downstairs as we were instructed.

The room was already set up for us. A super long table with 13 place settings, a few extra chairs and 3 menus. Let's just say, the setting of the room looked more like a meeting room. Maybe perhaps for the mob boss and his gang? (No pun intended)

Three of us sat down and settled in. In some time, the main server/cashier appeared. Placing 3 sets of ban chan (Korean small dishes) onto our table. Lots of variety, very colourful, and all looking very tasty too!


The Chap Chae was a hair spicier than what I've had before. Not so oily, which is always a plus.


The blanched broccoli was too much in bits. Too much work to pick at it. Not my way of eating this.


My favourite ban chan of the night goes to Dubu Jorim (silk tofu served with soya sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, and chopped green onion) and Oi Muchim (spicy pickled cucumbers). The dubu jorim had the right amount saltiness not like some other places where the sauce can be powerfully salty. And, the cucumbers had the right kind of crunch. The worst is to eat the soggy kinds.

So, my understanding of ban chan is that it's placed in the middle of the table. It's to be shared. They come in small portions and on small plates. And, when they are finished. Yes, finished. Meaning empty. They are to be replenished. So, keep this thought in mind.

As the main server places the ban chan, she tells the three 3 of us not to touch the plates that are in front of us. People "eat them too fast". Really?! Did she just say that? You're telling us what we can do and can't? If you find this amusing, that was just only the beginning of it all.

As guests started rolling in, we still had 3 menus. Did anyone from the restaurant bothered to bring more menus down to our table? Nope. [perhaps, I should start my "Skimpy Point" System (for every skimpy gesture given by the restaurant, they get awarded with 1 point), I think I should start it!] And when, all 13 of us was present, they still didn't bother to bring more menus. I'm not asking the establishment to give a menu per person. One menu between two people would have been ideal. One menu shared with 3 is pushing it, but manageable. But to share one menu among 4 people and more is just simply ridiculous. Awarded 1 skimpy point.  

After some time, we were finally all ready to order. So, we placed our order with the main server. And after chatting up, our food came at a timely manner. We all ordered a nice array of mains.

Also, water bottle pitchers level were depleted. And so were the ban chan. We asked for more ban chan. And when she came back (not immediately), her face has darkened (not happy). She only brought with her 3 additional ban chan. Awarded 1 skimpy point. Water bottle still empty. Awarded 1 skimpy point. Double whammy! You're on a roll! If you're reading this and smiling, this is NOT something to be proud about.

What I ordered was Mul Man Du (boiled beef dumplings) and a Dwen Jang Chigae (tofu & seafood soup stew). They both came, but my dumplings were not something that I was expecting. What I was expecting was boiled dumplings without soup. What I got was boiled dumplings with soup. No problem. So, I ordered 2 mains and got 2 bowls of rice. S'all good! This was my mistake. But I never let food go to waste.

So, I started with Mul Man Du (Boiled Dumplings). Aside from not expecting soup, there were more goodies in the clay pot/bowl. There were beef slices, sliced shiitake mushrooms, rice cake slices (which was something that I wanted to order but decided not to. So, it was kind of nice to get that), glass noodle, napa and green onion. The broth itself was light and clear. That was a nice change. Overall, a nice mild and tasty main to order if you're looking for something beef and soupy.


At this point, I was already stuffed. But I still had some rice remaining from my first bowl, I just tried and took some soup from the Dwen Jang Chigae (tofu & seafood soup stew). The colour of the soup base is a bit deceiving. Meaning, it was spicier than it looks. It contained silk tofu, a mix of seafood (baby mussels, baby shrimps, tiny pieces of squid, onion, and green onions. Pushing to get a skimpy point, but I'll let this one slide.


A second server brought another soup stew that no one ordered. I believe it was another Dwen Jang Chigae. But I was clearly still working on mine's. So, that's an error on the restaurant's part.

At this point, most of us has finished our meal and we're just enjoying the conversations. By the way, all 3 water bottle pitchers are completely empty. Any attempt from the restaurant to refill them? Still no. Awarded 1 skimpy point. 

Since we were done, no point in sticking around. No additional water would be given. And, we were to head upstairs and pay for our own individual bill.

As we each line-up one after another to wait and pay our bill, it came to my turn to pay. I told the main server/cashier what I had ordered. She did her calculations and I paid her. I took my change. And she had the audacity to ask for tip. I put in a toonie (which was more than enough), she did not retract the bill tray. I had to put in another 25-cents, she then moved on. I am appalled.

What went wrong with this experience? Let's start with the lighter things, bad customer service. Honestly, I don't think the main server regarded us as customers. So, I will revise this term to just bad service. Had she regarded us as customers, her treatment would have differed. If you are stressed or upset with something about work or outside of work, you MUST look professional and treat people with courtesy. Customers are the reason why you have a position at the restaurant. Without customers, will there be a need for your job anymore? Highly doubt it. Not feeling good? Go home! But if you decide to stay and work, suck it up. We did not ask you for your opinion and it was not needed. Did any of us speak rudely to you? Frankly, no. Secondly, if the stress was caused because of serving a table like our size was the problem, then don't take on a challenge that you can't meet. And when you do take on that challenge, do a good job at it please. Not a sloppy one. Our table were reasonable, fair, and sometimes a little too understanding. We weren't the picky kinds. So, don't take advantage of such situations like that again. 

And because of that earlier ordered item that did not belong to any of us, there were complications on the tab for our table. Someone ordered dumplings (me) was still outstanding and unpaid. Mind you, I've paid for my share already. She locked the doors and wouldn't let the remaining parties from our table leave. Not until that outstanding item was paid for. This is so wrong on so many levels. For one, (not trying to offend anyone or any culture) we live in NORTH AMERICA. You confining people like that is not just or legal. Next, forcing your paying customers to pay for an item that was a mistake on the restaurant end is even more ridiculous. Seriously, all I am doing right now is sharking my head. And you know very well why. IT'S NOT RIGHT!

I could really care less if you didn't meet the sales target for the night or that no one ordered table top grills for that evening or that the restaurant owner is forcing their servers to collect tips. Awarded 2 skimpy points. Gratuity (also known as tips) is OPTIONAL and it is based on the service. You'd be lucky to get any tip for the --- what service did we get? But to demand tip from your customers, that just really bad business practice and etiquette.

Having our party sit downstairs in the basement, near the washrooms, and bad ventilation just screamed: WTF?! (People who know me, knows that I don't use vulgar words in my every day part of speech. And when I do, I'm really upset. And, I have every reason to be)

And, what was up with that creepy guy sitting there the entire time by himself? Making sure we don't steal away the tower fan or TV?

Honestly, despite how well the food is, awful customer service will only drive away diners like me. If pennies were still being produce, which it isn't, here are my 2-cents: change the way you think in terms of business practice. This seriously needs to be re-evaluated. The end-users, your customers, are not dumb. They will catch on to your strategy. Unless if you want to continue getting less business, then by all means, continue what you are doing if not magnify what you have implemented.

All in all, I will NEVER visit this establishment again. This was my first visit and it will be my last. Why would I want to put myself through that again when I can go to another Korean restaurant that is closer  (because I am a downtowner) that will give me better services and make us feel welcome. That's just common sense.

Skimpy points total is 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment